“6 But when you pray, you must believe and not doubt at all. Whoever doubts is like a wave in the sea that is driven and blown about by the wind. 7-8 If you are like that, unable to make up your mind and undecided in all you do, you must not think that you will receive anything from the Lord.”
-James 1 : 6 – 8 (GNT)
Whoever doubts is like a wave in the sea that is driven and blown about by the wind. Meaning, whoever doubts no longer has control over his thoughts, behaviors and attitudes, but rather, is controlled by the thoughts, behaviors and attitudes of those surrounding him. Most people probably wouldn’t think twice about the verbiage in this passage, but if you take a minute to comprehend the magnitude of these words, they are truly breathtaking.
Doubt, as defined by dictionary.com:
- to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.
- to distrust.
- to fear; be apprehensive about.
Using the first line of this definition, consider the following:
- If I consider it questionable or unlikely, that God created man from the dust of the ground, breathing life-giving breath into him, in order to bring him into being; I doubt God’s creation of man.
- If I consider it questionable or unlikely, that by God’s commandment alone, He created the very earth on which we are living; I doubt the power of God.
- If I consider it questionable or unlikely, that angels are capable of existing alongside man, even in a realm beyond the one we know to exist, and despite repeated mention of their existence throughout the Bible; I doubt the word of God.
There may be things that we as humans will never be able to comprehend. Things like the existence of UFOs or the mathematical dimensions of the universe, are pretty vast, and sometimes vague, subjects. However, if we accept the fact that we are not going to understand everything we encounter in life, and move forward with the open mindset of “what-if?”, then we are already ahead of the game!
If you find that the mention of any of the above statements, plants a seed of doubt in your heart or mind, then seek out the truth as it applies to your own beliefs, and clear it up! The things we don’t even consider being a hindrance to our faith, are probably the most prominent obstacles we will face. Do not accept things just because someone told you to. For the love of God, please – UNDERSTAND WHY you are supposed to believe what you are told. Have the answer to any question that might come your way, seek to understand the big picture. If you get stumped during the process, just ask God for guidance. If you ask, you will receive; if you seek, you will find; if you knock, the door will be opened. However, do you know what must be done prior to receiving, finding, and having the door opened for you? A conscious and consistent effort on your part for knowledge.